Reminder: Do not include any PHI or PII in Confluence. If you require 508 accessibility assistance, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
SME Session 3: National Standards Based Approaches for Individual Identity Management
The FAST Identity Tiger Team focused on proposed solutions to address barriers related to identity verification for FHIR-based solutions at scale.
The group of SMEs invited to participate in this session will be asked to evaluate the team's proposed solutions: Mediated Patient Matching, Collaborative Patient Matching, Networked Identity Management, and Distributed Identity Management and provide their expert insight and opinion on these solutions.
The solutions aim to answer the following questions:
- How do we know who the patient is? The payer? The physician?
- How do we know the minimum patient data to return?
- What patient data should be returned in responses, including error messages?
- Can we rely on the consistency of identity-matching services across organizations?
- How do we map patient identity real-time?
- How do we address the misidentification risk?
- When is member/patient ID a requirement in a FHIR resource?
These solutions are focused on enabling unique identification of patients/members for requesters.
|Patrick Murta||Humana||Meeting Facilitator, ONC FAST Chief Architect|
|Paul Oates||Cigna||Meeting Facilitator, ONC FAST Chief Architect|
|Stephen Konya||HHS | ONC||Meeting Facilitator, ONC FAST Lead|
|Meena Jambulingam||Optum||Meeting Facilitator, ONC FAST Tiger Team Lead|
|Julie Maas||EMR Direct||Meeting Facilitator, ONC FAST Tiger Team Member|
|Mary Beth Kurilo||American Immunization Registry Association (AIRA)||Subject Matter Expert|
|Lauren Riplinger||American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)||Subject Matter Expert|
|Jason Vogt||CommonWell||Subject Matter Expert|
|Eric Heflin||eHealthExchange||Subject Matter Expert|
|Marisa Bass||CLEAR||Subject Matter Expert|
|Scott Schumacher||IBM||Subject Matter Expert|
|Joaquim Neto||Verato||Subject Matter Expert|
|Colin Wallis||Kantara||Subject Matter Expert|
|Blake Hall||ID.me||Subject Matter Expert|
|Josh Mandel||Microsoft Healthcare||Subject Matter Expert|
|Ricky Bloomfield||Apple||Subject Matter Expert|
|Joel Minton*||Subject Matter Expert|
|Carmen Smiley||HHS | ONC||Subject Matter Expert, ONC FAST Tiger Team Lead|
|Kenneth Gersing, MD*||National Institutes of Health (NIH)||Subject Matter Expert|
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
|Subject Matter Expert|
|Stan Huff, MD||Intermountain Healthcare||Subject Matter Expert|
|Dan Sanders||Anthem||Subject Matter Expert|
|Matt Doyle||Epic||Subject Matter Expert|
|Drew Torres||Cerner||Subject Matter Expert|
|Shaun Grannis, MD||Regenstrief||Subject Matter Expert|
|Abel Kho, MD||Northwestern University||Subject Matter Expert|
|Karly Rowe||Experian Health||Subject Matter Expert|
*All SME participants with an asterisk by their name are invited, pending confirmation.
Relevant Pre-meeting Reading Material
- The FAST Technical Barriers to the Scalability of FHIR Based Solutions document
- The FAST Identity Proposed solution document
SME Session Details
The nominated SME's will be asked to participate in two meetings in their area of expertise.
Meeting #1 - SMEs Prep-session (1 hour) (closed session, by invite only)
- Date/time: June 18, 2020 / 4:00 - 5:00 pm EST
- Scope and goals: This session is intended to orient SMEs to the work of FAST, the barriers this team is addressing and the proposed solution the team has developed. The goal is to provide SMEs with the foundational knowledge required to conduct an evaluation of the proposed solution prior to the SME Session.
- FAST 101
- SME Role and Expectations
- Barriers & Proposed Solution
- Setting the Stage for SME Session
- Meeting materials (coming soon)
Meeting #2 - SMEs Panel Discussion Session - An industry discussion around the FAST proposed solutions for identity verification (3 hours) (closed session, by invite only)
- Date/time: June 24, 2020 / 3:00 - 6:00 pm EST
- Scope and goals: The goal of this session is to elicit SMEs expert insight into proposed solution(s), specifically:
- Feasibility and effectiveness
- Potential gaps
- Unintended consequences
- Alternate approaches to consider
- Industry path forward (standard, regulation or policy)
- Session Goals
- Solution Review and Discussion
- Implications of Solution
- Industry Path Forward
- Action Items
- Meeting materials (coming soon)
Learn More About FAST
FAST’s goal is to analyze and identify HL7® Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR®) scalability gaps and offer possible solutions that will address current barriers and will accelerate FHIR adoption at scale.
Other FAST resources that may be of interest
- The FAST Ecosystem Use Cases
- The preliminary considerations included in version one of the proposed solutions was shared for industry feedback during The Identity Technical Learning Community (TLC) HL7 Webinar Session
Next Steps immediately following SME Sessions
- FAST Report-Out to summarize session discussion, decisions, and next steps
- FAST Action Plan to define proposed solution path (standard, regulation and/or process)